Monday, November 12, 2007

Today's story: "Crime DOES Pay" or "Grandma Was A Kleptomaniac"

Who'd have thought a stolen ashtray would've rewarded me with a contest win? Not I... and certainly not my grandmother when she decided to "borrow" an ashtray she admired from the Woolco's cafeteria in 1979.

Have I lost you? Let me back track.

Patricia Storms, a talented illustrator (and a super nice and encouraging person as well) has illustrated a book called Good Granny/Bad Granny written by Mary McHugh. Patricia was running a little contest to find the best Good Granny/Bad Granny stories from readers of her blog called Booklust.

I submitted the tale about my grandmother's indiscretion and it was chosen as one of the winning entries. You can read my tale here. I'm eagerly awaiting my autographed copy in the mail.

Christmas is coming so if you have a Granny (good or bad) you may want to think about picking up the book and popping it under the tree for her. Um, but even though my tale of shoplifting turned out well, you should probably think about paying for your copy before you leave the store.

3 comments:

Cipriano said...

Terrific story, Sandy. I love it.
My father was a COLOSSAL ashtray thief. Not kidding.
When I was a kid we did a massive ashtray tour of the U.S of A. I especially remember the ones nabbed from Las Vegas, for some reason. A green one, in particular, from the Golden Nugget. Ashtray green. I remember, the notches on the sides, where you were supposed to rest the cigarette, these notches were way too small. And the center of the ashtray had a big gold "Nugget" sign.
My dad is gone. But now you have me wondering where that ashtray is. Like seriously, it must be somewhere.
I loved the last line of your story.
-- Cip [a fellow winner of Good Granny/Bad Granny, and bona-fide Patricia groupie.]

msfitzita said...

I need new content. Four months??? Come on now...

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....